Thursday, December 23, 2010

Bricks of a different sort

My triathlete friends are familiar with the idea of brick workouts; for those of you new to the notion, it basically means completing two different types of workouts one immediately after another. So, biking and then running for example. Since I haven't been either swimming or biking lately my bricks have involved lifting weights and running. For the past month I have been going to Fleet Feet in Fenton on Wednesday nights for their weekly 5 mile group run. These days group runs are keeping me engaged with the sport since once I get out there with other people I feel fine and am glad I showed up. I harbored momentary hopes earlier in the day of getting to the store an hour early and doing a second loop of the course to bump up my mileage but that didn't happen.

So, with about 20 extra minutes I checked the crossfit.com website and noticed a workout of the day that I knew I had time to complete; it was 75 power snatches for time. The workout called for using 75 lbs however I consider my right shoulder to be tentatively healed and this was a brand new movement for me I decided to play it safe by using a 40 lbs. barbell. In retrospect it was too light a weight, although I definitely was feeling the burn nonetheless. I had to take four to five short breaks throughout my march to 75 reps in 5:30. I probably should have used either a 50 or 60 lbs. weight but staying injury free was more important than lifting a heavier weight.

After a few more short exercises I was off to Fleet Feet. I arrived at the store in time for the group picture and then we were off for the 5 mile run. It was dark, I hadn't brought my light with me since it didn't seem to help very much last week and thus in an act of karma teaching me a lesson I managed to roll my ankle on a rock within the first mile. I immediately stopped and thought I might have to turn around and go back but was able to walk around on it and opted to keep going. I ended up running with/near a group of three other runners for the majority of the remaining four miles of the run. We finished the route in about 43 minutes which included two fairly large hills much faster than I expected. Overall it was a good run.

I stopped by the gym again on the way home and managed to get in my leg extension and leg curl regimen which I will have to discuss at some point. I had managed to almost forget about rolling the ankle until I took off my shoe at home and realized the ankle wasn't too excited about my putting my full weight on it unsupported. It looks like I will have to take off from running for a day or two to let it heal since it wasn't any better this morning.

No comments: