Thursday, February 3, 2011

Snowball Series Finale and Bootcamp workout

After running the 12 mile trail race on Saturday it was a brief 24 hour interlude until I was pulling on the winter gloves and hat yet again for the final Snowball series 10 mile race on Sunday morning.  Due to racing hard the day before I had opted to just try and run this event as a training effort.  Thus, the plan was to just get in the mileage and run easy--no racing allowed.  I shot some pictures before the start and of course took the camera with me during the race.  I didn't look at my watch throughout the course and managed to finish in about one hour and twenty nine minutes---or just under 9 minute per mile pace.  Here is a link to the photos from the event plus a few of some friends who got together at the Bread Company after the race; 

Sunday afternoon I drove down to the city to partake in a bootcamp style workout.  It has been a few months since I managed to make it to this particular group and on this occasion the trainer, who normally works out with us, was injured so we opted to stay at her house and do a kettlebell workout.  Here are some pictures from the workout:
This is one of my favorite groups since it is usually only a handful of dedicated folks who show up, and you never know what the exercises will be on any particular day.  Normally if the temperature is 40 degrees or higher we are working out in Tower Grove Park with small hand weights.  However, when the weather is bad we will work out in the trainer's home.  In the past I have taken a 20 lb. weight vest with me to make the workout even more challenging.  However, since I hadn't worn it to this group in a few months I left it in the car to try to slowly ease my body back into the old routine.  Here is a picture of me just after a session with this group from the summer of 2010 with the vest plus some ankle weights:  

On one occasion during the summer of 2010 we ended up running approximately 3 miles plus some plyometric movements all with yours truly wearing the vest.  That was a tough workout trying to keep up with everyone else since we usually take a few breaks to do exercises where I can recover but on that occasion it was 1.5 miles of straight running each way!  The group usually meets several times a week but Sundays are free so my frugal nature usually has me attending the Sunday sessions whenever possible.  However, the cost of a Monday through Saturday session is only 3 bucks which is by far the best cost to value proposition in the St. Louis area if you are looking for a bootcamp style workout.  Let me know if you are interested in joining the fun sometime--no weight vest is required!      

No comments: