Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Training Goals

Well, many triathletes are now in what they call their off season and in fact I attended a seminar on Monday evening at the local REI on off season training for triathletes. I understand the need to take a break from an athletic endeavor and I will not be competing in any triathlons for at least a few months but I think the concept of "off season" is a bit overblown. Too many people take it as an excuse to stop working out and sit in front of the TV and gain weight. Some people stop working out completely for a month or more. No thanks, I will continue training for running races and may even dabble in some mountain biking or cyclocross races etc.
In terms of my own goals, I have already signed up for a half Ironman (HIM) race in mid July in Wisconsin as well as a full ironman race in Florida in late October. What that basically means is that I have about 7 months to get my swimming ability up to the point that I can swim freestyle for 1.2 miles and then a few months later double that distance to 2.4 miles. Normal triathlon people in my club are too kind to say anything but I am sure they think I am crazy. If they didn't before, if they saw me swim they certainly would call my goals crazy. I have really been slacking on the swim portion of my triathlon having not done anything in the pool since my last race in mid September. However, yesterday I resolved to start a new swim training plan since I will never make my HIM and full ironman goals unless I get in gear: everytime I am at the gym I go in the pool no matter what. Now, I may not make it very far or fast but I will be swimming. So yesterday I swam 200 meters and again this morning I swam 250 meters while at the gym. These are really miniscule distances but everyone starts somewhere and for me this is where the journey begins.
Realistically I should be looking for a swim coach or group program to help me with my lack of swimming ability but I have resisted the urge so far since I want to get back to where I was after completing a few lessons at the local YMCA. I will try and keep the blog updated on a more regular basis from now on.

1 comment:

Cara said...

Just so you know, you are crazy. And this is coming from an almost professional. Luckily your insanity always seems to work out well for you. I hate that about you :) Mom keeps telling me you're running "practice" marathons. What the hell is a practice marathon? A marathon is a marathon-who uses that as practice?