Thursday, January 27, 2011

Winter Weight Training----Legs

I few friends have asked me recently about my weight lifting regimen during the winter--particularly focusing on the legs.  I try to hit the legs at least 3-4 times a week (usually every other day) for the following core exercises for my legs, though sometimes I will mix things up, here is my standard workout these days:

5 x 100 seated calf raise machine with 120 lbs alternating leg position after each 100.
5 x 100 hip abduction machine, start with 70 lbs and add 10 lbs for each 100 completed.
5 x 100 hip adduction machine, start with 70 lbs and add 10 lbs for each 100 completed.

5 x 100  leg extension machine with 35 lbs.
5 x 100  leg curl machine with 40 lbs.
5 x 100 squats with 40 lbs barbell


I take as many breaks as necessary during each set and between sets because for me the main goal is to reach the 500 total reps.  However, recently I can almost always go through all 100 reps without a break and sometimes can go through several hundred reps at these weights without stopping.  I don't recommend this workout for everyone and be aware it took me some length of time to work up to this many total repetitions, but I like the feeling I get from doing so many reps at what are mostly relatively light weights for me. 

No comments: